Have a Happy Turkey Day! No surprise - we're closed for Thanksgiving.
But join us on both Wednesday AND Fridays for Free Happy Hour Tastings.
BLACK FRIDAY SALE! All Dark Beer Recipes and Kits are on sale for 20% off!
Shop Small Business Saturday with us!
We're open Sunday from Noon - 4 pm.
CYBER MONDAY Gift Certificate SALE! All Home Sweet Homebrew Gift Certificates purchased online Monday, November 30th are eligible for a Bonus Beer Bucks Surprise! What's a Bonus Bucks Surprise? FREE MONEY added to your gift certificate.
- Wyeast Private Collection 4th Quarter - The Harvest & Holiday Collection: The return of the much requested 1217 - West Coast IPA yeast, also 2352 - Munich Lager II, and 9097 - Old Ale Blend. There's a limited supply of previous Private Collection yeasts, such as 3191 - Berliner Weisse, 3538 - Leuven, and 5151 - Brett Claussenii. See www.wyeastlab.com for more info.
Jake, of our Jake & Elwood duo
We're extremely sad to tell you that Jake is no longer with us. We rushed him to veterinary care but we had to make the hardest decision a pet owner ever makes. Jake will be forever in our hearts and souls. Our hearts are breaking.
We recently donated a portion of a weekend's sales to the Morris Animal Refuge in memory of Jake. May his memory be a blessing to other rescues in need. We thank you all for your support.
"Good taste, good timing: How Philly became the best beer city in America"
You're going to love this fully developed BillyPenn.com article on the history and current state of craft beer in Philadelphia, which (of course) includes the role of Home Sweet Homebrew owners George Hummel and Nancy Rigberg. Just a few of the other players in this article include Tom Peters of Monk's Cafe, Standard Tap's William Reed, Dock Street Brewery's Rosemarie Certo, distributor Ed Friedland, and the Philadelphia Inquirer's Craig LaBan. These people and more have contributed to Philly's beer renaissance, with GQ, Esquire, Frommer's, the AP and Forbes recognizing Philadelphia as an excellent beer city.
"Meet the women brewing up the local beer scene"
"From owners to homebrewers, six ladies talk beer, business & the boys' club."
In this phillyvoice.com article by Aubrey Nagle, you can read about Home Sweet Homebrew's Nancy Rigberg, and five other influential women in Philadelphia brewing: Carol Stoudt, Rosemarie Certo, Christina Burris, Jamie Queli and Gina Vasoli.
Sam Calagione calls Home Sweet Homebrew "legendary"
(Sam Calagione is founder of Dogfish Head.) Learn more on our What's Hoppening page.
- Sam Calagione calls George Hummel "an under-recognized outside of Philadelphia Philadelphia beer celebrity" in his #AskDogfish Episode 5 video, when asked "Who do you think over the last 20 years is the most influential in brewing in Philadelphia?" (if you're short on time, start at about 1:30 in the video).
New Hops and New Malts are in Stock
– some intriguing high alpha German varieties, as well as some new US and New Zealand types.
(We've also got a good stock on those high alpha US hops your IPAs love!)
Chateau Monastique is a Belgian toasted malt that imparts a dry bitterness and a deep color for your abbey ales, porters and Trappist style beers. Think ahead. Remember that so many of the Wyeast Belgian yeasts enjoy that warm weather ferment and will be beautifully conditioned by the cooler fall months.
- Beginner's Pubkits and Intermediate Recipes!
You get all the pre-measured and easy to use ingredients to create 5 gallons of beer for only $39.95! Ramble on Rye, Onkel Fester and Brother Thomas and more!
Also, we've added White IPA and Belgian Chocolate Stout recipe packages to our list of partial grain/extract beer recipes. See our Beer Store page for the full list.
- George Hummel on WHYY's "The Pulse" in "How science saved beer"
George Hummel added his brewing knowledge to a segment entitled "How science saved beer". Learn a bit about bacteria and the beer industry.
- Take a moment to view this video conversation among George Hummel, Nancy Rigberg, and Dogfish Head's Sam Calagione (founder and President) as they reminisce about the old days of brewing in Philadelphia.
- Every few days we post a new special on Facebook
or Twitter, so visit us often.
- Order Beer Ingredient Packages online for yourself or as a gift on our Beer Store page, or come in and pick it up.
- George Hummel on WHYY: Keeping the craft beer flowing in Philadelphia
Listen to George on Philadelphia's WHYY radio station in an interview with NewsWorks Tonight's host, Dave Heller.
- Philadelphia ranked first for best pub crawl city and third for the best U.S. beer brewing city by AMOG.com. Come visit Home Sweet Homebrew to learn more about brewing and join the fun.
- Gift Certificates are perfect all year long. Beer brewing ingredients, brewing books, kits, etc. are great present ideas for birthdays, anniversaries, Mother's or Father's Day, ... or just because.. A HSH gift certificate says that you care about the recipient, and "please, may I have some of your homebrewed beer?". Easy to order at the bottom of every page.
- Expand Your Beer Horizons: Check out our latest catalog. See some of the many beer brewing and wine making ingredients that we can supply you.